APT's aircraft are two seat Shadows CD's, manufactured
by CFM Aircraft Ltd. at Leiston, Suffolk, UK, with controls specially
modified to take account of the difficulties of disabled pilots.
The Shadow is elegant-looking, sophisticated and tough, with an
unrivalled record for reliability, safety and performance. It is
a delight to fly.
The main features of the Shadow are:
- Tandem seating.
- Glider style front cockpit.
- 3-axis control.
- Tricycle undercarriage.
- Differential brakes on rear wheels.
- Rear engine/Pusher propeller.
- Conventional control stick (elevator/ailerons) on the pilot's
Both Shadows are fitted with Rotax 503 2-stroke engines producing
Student pilots sit in the front cockpit with the instructor sitting
behind. Students should weigh no more than 13.5 stone (approx. 86
G-MYLV is modified for those whose disability affects their hands
as well as their legs. The main modifications to G-MYLV consist
- Combined throttle/rudder lever on the pilot's left side.
(Forward/back for throttle, left/right for rudder).
- Pneumatically-powered brakes activated by a lever behind
the pilot's head. (Whether the left or right brake or both
operates depends on position of rudder lever).
- Suck blow trim, operated by tube attached to microphone
- Large detachable radio PTT switch. (Which those without
finger movement can operate with their chin. The original
PTT switch remains on the throttle/rudder lever for those
who have function in their left thumb).
G-MVUS is modified for those whose disability affects their legs
- Combined throttle/rudder lever on pilot's left side. (Forward/back
for throttle, left/right for rudder).
- This lever has a PTT switch on the top and a trim switch, both switches operated by the thumb.
- Brakes activated by bicycle brake levers, one on each
|For tetraplegics and others
who cannot get into our planes unaided we have a hoist that
can comfortably lift a person from a wheelchair into the front
$meta_title="Information on aircraft converted for Disabled Flying Training";
$contents = ob_get_contents(); // store buffer in $contents
$pattern = "";
$contents1 = ereg_replace($pattern, $meta_title, $contents);
Adapted Aircraft for Disabled Flying